Somehow I find myself in January 2017 …. I am not quite sure where the past month went to! Despite Nicaragua remaining, for the most part, unaffected by the commercial hoopla that surrounds the Christmas holiday in other parts of the World, we still seemed to be kept busy. Mainly spending time with family and friends, which was nice. Then January brought with it some sickness, and so I’ve been a little slow to embrace the new year with its resolutions and intentions! I fear that I may have mistakenly packed away my energy and motivation with the Christmas decorations! Never fear, I am sure they will not be misplaced for too long and I will have some ranting blogs written for you soon.
In the meantime, check out these stories from the past month…..
Top Ten Reads From My Feed
- The TRUTH about sugar by Charlotte Stirling-Reed
- Daily handful of nuts slashes the risk of disease and death by Ana Sandiou on MNT
- Why your diet should include more fat by Mallory Creveling on cnn
- We unravel the science mysteries of asparagus pee by Angus Chen on npr
- Neuroscience says listening to this song reduces anxiety by up to 65 percent by Melanie Curtin, Inc.com
- Exercise: motivation gets you started but routine keeps you going by Carol Maher and Tim Old, The Conversation
- Your liver doesn’t know it’s the holidays by Steph Yin, New York Times
- A. Henderson. ‘disease detective’ who eradicated smallpox, dies at 87 by Emily Langer in The Washington Post
- What children need even more than presents this holiday season by Merete Crop in The Washington Post
10. Smartphones are stealing our time. This new year I want to claim it back by Marcus Gilroy-Ware in The Guardian
Best of the Rest…
- 13 things you should give up if you want to be successful by Zradvko Cvijetic in The Observer
- It’s going to be a great year! My five best nutrition tips for 2017 by Abby Langer
- Losing more than land at Stirling Rock by Larry Towell, Time
Recipes Tried and Tested
- Ginger-lime sticky chicky (AIP, Paleo) from EatHealThrive
- Grapefruit thyme shortbread bars from Canadian Living
- Minimalist Bakers 5 ingredient peppermint patties on YumUniverse
Through our non-profit Waves of Hope, we frequently collaborate with other non-profits and organizations to work together towards our shared goals of improving the lives of the members of our community. In December, we had the pleasure of hosting a group of individuals from Artbound, a Toronto based charity that fundraise for art-inspired programs all over the world. They arrived fresh from the city to provide service and gave 110%. In addition they raised over $40,000 towards our high school expansion project and to fund 4 music, dance and art teachers at the school. Take a moment to read about their personal experience here.
My Highlights of the Month
Christmas through the eyes of my children!
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas holiday and all the best for a happy, healthy and prosperous 2017! Cheers!